The dedicated members of the Minooka Fire Protection District strive to provide reliable emergency services, public education and awareness for our customers in a cost effective and responsible manner.
Hoverboard---part toy, part transportation. These self-balancing scooters have quickly become the latest fad. However, many hoverboards have been linked to fires. Minooka Fire Protection District and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) urges you to be fire safe when using these devices.
click here for safety tips from NFPA
Space heaters need S. P. A. C. E.
Heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths. Half of home heating equipment fires
are reported during the months of December, January, and February. Some simple steps can prevent most heating-related fires from happening.
* Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
* Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
* Never use your oven to heat your home.
* Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
* Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
* Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
* Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
* Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
* Test smoke alarms and CO detectors monthly.
SEVERE WEATHER & DISASTER PREPAREDNESS
How Prepared or Unprepared are you?
Winter Preparedness & Safety Tips
Did you know...?
Smoke alarms should be replace at least every 10 years?
If you live in the following subdivisions in Minooka and have never changed out your smoke alarms, now would be a good time to replace them:
Rivers Edge Landing
There is nothing like sitting by an open fire on a cold night. Indoor and outdoor portable ethanol burning fireplaces have become more popular in recent years. While these products provide ambiance and a little warmth, keep in mind the fuel, device and open flame can be dangerous.